2021 National Youth Chamber Wind Ensemble of Distinction
Global Initiative for Talented Students (GIFTS) in collaboration with Perform America – TX, LLC is excited to offer a new educational opportunity for middle and high school band, choir and orchestra programs. Introducing Medal of Distinction, a unique recording submission process designed to celebrate excellence in performance while simultaneously offering practical and exciting opportunities of growth for both students and directors. All participants will have access to a wealth of knowledge from evaluators with a variety of musical backgrounds. The Medal of Distinction program serves as a means to bring together a community of musicians and educators striving to better themselves, their programs and the art of music-making.
Ensemble recordings are evaluated by a judging panel(s) composed of nationally recognized educators and conductors. After the initial listening in the ‘Premier Performance’ round, the top ensembles in this group will earn the ‘Maestro’s Circle Award’ and the opportunity to perform at a Dallas Winds Concert in the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony!
- Recordings will receive both audio and written feedback from a Medal of Distinction evaluator.
- The top 15% of ensembles entered will be named National Winners of the Maestro Award and the second 25% will be named ‘Performance of Distinction Winners’.
- The Top chamber wind ensembles regardless of classification selected from the National Winners of the Maestro Award receive the honor of performing pre-concert or during intermission at a Dallas Winds Concert in the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center. Tickets to attend the concert will be included. Travel accommodations will need to be planned and covered by the chamber ensemble’s school and/or members.
All competition participants will have exclusive access to an online forum where both directors and contest evaluators can share discussions about rehearsal procedures, performance considerations, programming, and other questions and topics that arise along the performance preparation and educational journey.
And once again the the top chamber ensemble selected from the National Winners of the Maestro Award will receive the honor of performing pre-concert or during intermission at a Dallas Winds Concert in the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center. Tickets to attend the concert will be included. Travel accommodations will need to be planned and covered by the chamber ensemble’s school and/or members.
National Youth Chamber Wind Ensemble of Distinction
- High School Chamber Wind Ensembles
- Collegiate/University Chamber Wind Ensembles
- Community Chamber Wind Ensembles
- International Ensembles in any of the above categories
- Digital performance recordings of two different works.
- Two scores of each selection. (international ensembles can submit PDFs)
In an effort to keep the contest judging anonymous, please remove any markings that would reveal the identity of the program or director.
- Recordings must be from the 2020-2021 school year
- Recordings must be edited to remove any mention of the school’s name to ensure anonymity. Other acceptable edits include eliminating applause, combining tracks of multi-movement works, and shortening excess time between movements.
- Refrain from unethical editing practices such as modifying, altering, or splicing the recordings. Please use your best professional judgment.
- MP3 format is preferred
March 1st – Entry registration opens (please print registration form)
June 5th – Payment of $375 application fee (made out to GIFTS), copy of entry registration form, recordings (submitted electronically through form), and scores are due to the following addresses:
Medal of Distinction
2316 Kristen Ln.
Cedar Park, TX 78613
Recordings should be submitted through the registration form. If having trouble, please email email@example.com with school/director information.
Checks can be made out to: Global Initiative for Talented Students or GIFTS