The Global Initiative for Talented Students (G.I.F.T.S.) is excited to announce its inaugural National Youth Wind Ensemble of America (NYWE) season in 2022. Following a comprehensive audition process, the NYWE will consist of the nation’s premier young wind, brass, and percussion performers. These incredible musicians will spend a week in the nation’s capital, with daily rehearsals led by the 2022 guest conductors, receive daily coaching with premier military band musicians from the D.C. area, tour the national monuments, experience a rehearsal with “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band, and attend the Evening Parade – “Oldest Post of the Corps”. The 2022 experience will culminate in a performance in the historic Warner Theater in Washington D.C. on June 18, 2022.
The National Youth Wind Ensemble of America is made possible by G.I.F.T.S., a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing talented students in academia, the arts, and athletics with opportunities to study or expand an area of interest as well as Perform America – TX, LLC a company that specializes in performance-based tours for groups of all ages ran by former music directors and educators. All travel arrangements will be organized through Perform America – TX, LLC.
G.I.F.T.S. invites wind, brass, and percussion musicians from across the country, ages 16-19, to participate in its inaugural season in 2022.
To begin the process, you must create an Acceptd account. If you already have an existing account, you can create a new application through this account. Once your account has been created, you can begin the application process and save your progress at any point. We recommend that you allow adequate time to record, upload, and review your materials to be certain that your application is indicative of your musical and personal achievements.
September 7, 2020: Application officially opens
January 1, 2022: Application and Recommendation Deadline
February 1, 2022: Applicants notified of status via email
March 1, 2022: Audition excerpts for chair placement posted for 2022 NYWE
June 14, 2022: NYWE Begins with Welcome Ceremony in Washington, D.C.
June 18, 2022: NYWE Concert in The Warner Theater, Washington D.C.
For questions, please email NYWE@giftsmovement.org
Please include a current resume that lists your personal, academic, and musical achievements, including a list of performed solo repertoire.
Please include a current photo.
In 500 words or less, introduce yourself, describe your musical experiences, and detail how participation in the 2022 concert season would impact your life and your community.
Each application requires two required recommendations. Each reference will receive a link to an online recommendation form after you submit your completed application. The confidential form, sent directly from Acceptd, must be filled out by your reference by January 1. Recommended References would include your band directors, music teachers, private lesson instructors, and professionals that can attest to your ability, professionalism, and character.
All applicants are required to record an audition video that meets the criteria and content requirements below. Each required selection must be recorded in one complete take, with no editing (though you should select the best of several takes), and both requirements should then be combined into a single video. Professional recording equipment is not necessary and audition videos may be recorded using smartphones. Percussion – see video requirements for specifics
State your name, instrument, hometown, school, and introduce your two recorded segments.
Two Contrasting Solos or Etudes
Each solo or etude must not be longer than 3 minutes. If a selection is longer than three-minutes, you may record an unedited three-minute selection from a longer work. You may also include a recent performance, but your spoken introduction must be recorded separately. A work with accompaniment is strongly preferred.
Percussionists must submit a solo or etude for the following instruments, for a total of 3:
- Snare Drum
- Keyboard instrument of choice
Your audition video is one of the most important components of your application. Discuss your audition video with your music teachers, to make sure that you have adequate equipment and space. If you need additional assistance, please contact the National Youth Wind Ensemble concert staff at NYWE@giftsmovement.org. We want to make sure that you are able to successfully record your audition. For questions about video uploads, please contact Acceptd technical support from within your application.
Video Tips and Suggestions
- Film in Landscape and consider your lighting and camera placement. Use a well-lit location that is free from possible interruptions. Place the camera so that you, your instrument, and your full range of motion are in the frame at all times. If you’re using an accompanist, we would like to see all performers at all times. It is also imperative that your face is visible at all times throughout the performance.
- Test the audio so that the loudest portions of your audition are not distorted and the softest parts of your audition are still clearly audible. If possible, consider using an external microphone, which can be connected to your camera to record.
- Prior to recording your audition video, make sure your instrument is clean and in proper playing condition. It is recommended that you have your music teacher and/or private instructor examine your instrument prior to recording.
- Other than stopping/starting the camera between your segments (Recorded spoken introductions, Solo Excerpt 1, Solo Excerpt 2), no editing of the audio or video is permitted. Applicants that display evidence of editing will be automatically disqualified.
- Video files are submitted through Acceptd – acceptable video formats are available here.